http://media.photobucket.com/image/redwood%20tree/katysue/redwood_tree_rings.jpg?o=32
I care for elderly people, for those who didn't know.. It often crosses my mind what all they have seen happen or invented, for better or worse, in their life times... My current client will be 100 years old in a couple of months.. A whole century old! In the last 100 years he has seen WWI, WWII, plus numerous others, the great depression and this current one, the end of segregation, and a ton of other events. He has seen the inventions of planes, cars, the bra, T.V., antibiotics, velcro, slinky, microwave, Polaroid camara, credit cards, fusion bombs, instant noodles, and that is only up to the end of the 50's...
http://media.photobucket.com/image/top%20ramen/BFlores7210/top-ramen-enhancement-reque.jpg?o=8
It makes me think of the things that have happened or been invented in my lifetime.. Of course, there have been a couple of wars. I was born in the midst of the Womans Lib Movement where woman earned the choice to work. I have seen the AIDS epidemic from start to where it is now with a possible cure, I survived not only the 80's but also the 90's. I have seen the rise of school violence including events such as Columbine and Thurston, leading to an almost ridiculous crack down on any type of infraction where it comes to even the possibility of a weapon or intent in schools.. I have also seen TV programming go from sit coms to reality TV.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/reality%20tv/cristyano/reality_tv.jpg?o=6
Closer to home I can find things that were not invented yet when I was little.. Razors have gone from disposable 1 blade razors to reusable multiple blade razors. Aerosol cans are still around but far far less so. How about Teflon non-stick pans? The reinvention of non stick pans. Computers, they continue to evolve. When I was a teenager the computer monitors were black and green and big... Now you have flat screens, that goes for TV too. Someone extremely computer savvy could talk "on line" when I was a teen ager, but now it is just voila, anyone is able to, and quickly. Remember dial up? It used your only phone line and took forever.. In my life I have seen the rise of cellphones, and laws to go with them. My mom was excited to get a cell phone when I was pretty young.. It was HUGE and there were limited towers thus limited signal... When I was little there were vinyls, then 8-track tapes, then cassette tapes, now we have CD's and Mp3's for our CD players and Ipods. When I was young all we had were VHS tapes, now we have DVD's, not to mention Netflix and Redbox. I suppose I could say that I have seen the downfall of video stores too...
http://media.photobucket.com/image/8%20track/keithkauspedas/8-track.jpg?o=14
Anyways, my daughter is nagging at me that I am writing too much, but it amazes me that just in the 34 yrs I have been alive that I have seen so much. I wonder if I live to be 100 what it might be like then? Maybe we will have implants that we can just download our music and movies to!?! I could come up with other weird examples of what might be, but I am getting the stink eye from the daughter...
What do you all think? I would love to hear ideas from all 3 of you... lol
http://media.photobucket.com/image/invention/LipGlossJnkie/invention.jpg?o=7





Shouldn't it be "If necessity is the mother of invention, is wanting the father of destruction.
ReplyDelete